Happy New Year! If you celebrated Christmas, I hope you had a great time. If you didn’t, I hope you had a nice break away from work.
- The biggest news of the last few weeks was that Clojure 1.10 was released. Lots of cool stuff here, and as always, a smooth upgrade path.
- Yehonathan Sharvit welcomes Clojure 1.10
- Over the last few weeks I’ve put The REPL’s entire back catalogue of newsletters online. I often found that I wanted to refer back to something I linked a while ago and had trouble finding it in my email. At some point I’m going to add some local site search so you can search for keywords, URLs, e.t.c., if you have any good experiences doing this, let me know what you found.
- If you use Aleph, chime in on this thread which is compiling a list of users.
- Arcadia (Clojure with the Unity game engine) has a beta out.
- Steve Klabnik has some thoughts on Clojure’s stability
- I talked with Antonio Monteiro about Lumo, GraphQL, and OCaml recently. It was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot.
Libraries & Books.
- Dispacio is a predicate stack dispatch system for Clojure and ClojureScript. Think multimethods, but more flexible, and also with a bit more responsibility/risk for the user.
- Three related libraries around Hiccupy Reagenty development: mr-clean is a Reagent compatible library without a dependency on React, Ikota is a Hiccup implementation for Clojure/ClojureScript, and Clojure Hiccup Page (CHP) is a PHP inspired Hiccup server-rendered templating library.
- When I talked with Chris Nuernberger a few weeks ago about TVM CLJ, a big focus of the conversation was dealing with memory efficiently. He’s just published a post and library about tech.resource, their resource management library. I nearly used the term “off-heap” here, but the post has a good explanation of why other words might be less confusing. What is especially cool about this library is that you can use it with the JVM GC. You can set a stack based boundary where you know the memory will be deallocated at a certain point in the program, but it can also be deallocated sooner if the GC determines this is safe.
People are worried about Types. ?
- respeced is a library for verifying spec
- Dash.app now supports cljdoc, an offline documentation app.
- depsviz can generate a Graphviz visualisation of your
- Alex Miller takes us Inside Clojure again. I’ve been really enjoying these posts. Also of note, longtime Clojure contributor Ghadi Shayban has joined Cognitect recently.
- A list of all the tickets fixed in Clojure 1.10
I’m Daniel Compton. I maintain public Maven repositories at Clojars, private ones at Deps, and help fund OSS Clojure projects (along with tons of generous members like Pitch, JUXT, Metosin, Adgoji, and Funding Circle) at Clojurists Together. If you’ve enjoyed reading this, tell your friends to sign up at therepl.net, or post a link in your company chatroom. If you’ve seen (or published) a blog post, library, or anything else Clojure/JVM related please reply to this to let me know about it.
If you’d like to support the work that I’m doing, consider signing up for a trial of Deps, a private, hosted, Maven Repository service that I run.